Friday, March 28, 2014

Selfie, Old School

11 x 15"
pen and ink on paper
Most of you know that I am pursuing my Bachelors of Fine Arts degree at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio. In my Drawing II class, our homework assignment for yesterday was to draw a self portrait with pen and ink. The drawing had to be from life. All of our work (drawing, painting, and sculpting) is from life. The assignment was to draw a self portrait with clearly defined facets and planes. I thoroughly enjoyed the assignment because it was quick and had dramatic results. But, because you got quick results and you could not erase the ink, it took me three attempts. The first time, my value got way too dark on my lips. The second time the whole side of my face got too dark. Take a look for yourself.
3rd                    2nd                     1st
They are in reverse order. The one of the left was done last. That is the one that I handed in for my homework. I find it interesting how different they all look. I see myself in all of them but sure wish I could combine the good parts of all three.

1 comment:

  1. I too, have been doing self portraits lately. Your blog today convince me to do a third attempt, and it's posted on my blog, www.karenknutson.blogspot.com I love that we seemed to make the same mistakes. My second one was too dark too! I love following your blog, Patti. You are a fantastic artist!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all of your comments! Patti

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...